The Canadian Martyrs Shrine honors the eight Jesuit saints who lived, worked, and died in Ontario and New York over 350 years ago. They came from France intent on spreading the Catholic faith, ready to give their lives for the glory of God and the salvation of souls. They built the first Church in Ontario and converted many of the Hurons – the native people.
Saturday, September 28
Schedule of the pilgrimage:
- 9:30 am: Gathering at St. Ignace II, the location of the martyrdom of St. Jean de Brébeuf and St. Gabriel Lalemant.
- 10:00 am: Mass. Lunch to follow.
- 12:30 pm: Start of the walk to the Martyrs Shrine
- 4:00pm: Arrival of the pilgrims to the church of the Martyrs Shrine. Prayer & veneration of the relics.
- A rented bus will depart from the Church of the Transfiguration in Toronto – 11 Aldgate Ave. promptly at 7:30am, with a second pickup at Islington subway station at 7:45am. The bus will leave Martyrs Shrine at approx. 5:00 pm to return to Toronto – Church of the Transfiguration.
- The bus fee should be $20.00 per person, depending on the number of persons who travel by bus. There is room for 48 passengers. Register by Sunday Sep. 22.
- Pilgrims will walk in different, smaller chapters to facilitate prayer and meditation. Priests will be available for confessions throughout the pilgrimage.
- From St. Ignace II to the Martyrs’ Shrine, we will be walking on the paved trail that follows former railway tracks.
- A van will be available to pick up tired pilgrims along the way.
- Pilgrims should bring their own lunch. Water, however, will be provided. There will be no stop at Victoria Harbour but rather a brief stop on the way.
- Pilgrims driving their own cars should drop all passengers off at St. Ignace II no later than 9:20am and then drive their cars to the Shrine, parking nearing the East Gate. A shuttle bus will leave the Shrine at 9:40 am to bring the drivers back to the starting point of the pilgrimage.
- Men interested with the extended walk, starting on Friday September 27, should contact Dave Simpson. [email protected]
- The Martyrs' Shrine is located of Highway 12, just East of Midland, Ontario. It consists of a Basilica, Outdoor Stations of the Cross, and many other outdoor shrines. In the Church are the relics of St. Jean de Brébeuf, St. Gabriel Lalemant, and St. René Goupil.
- St.IgnaceII(asitiscalled) is the exact location where Sts. Jean de Brébeuf and Gabriel Lalemant suffered their martyrdom. It is at located off Rosemount Road, South of Highway 12. Pilgrimage will start at St. Ignace walking to the Shrine.
Directions to St. Ignace II
- From Toronto: Take 400 North past Barrie and Coldwater. Exit Highway 12 West, which is the exit for Waubashene and Victoria Harbour. The Exit Number is 147. (Note: you will see other signs to the Martyrs Shrine and to Highway 12. Do not exit at any of these, but wait until the Waubashene Victoria Harbour Exit.)
- Continue on Highway 12 West for about 3 Kilometres. There will be a Shell gas station on your right. Turn Left onto Rosemount road. Continue on Rosemount Road for about 3 kilometers, and right after going over a small bridge you will see sign: Camp Manitomno and St. Ignace. Turn left here to arrive at St. Ignace.
Directions to the Martyrs Shrine from St. Ignace II:
- Return to Highway 12, and at the Shell station turn Left. Continue on Highway 12 West for about 10 Km and the Martyrs Shrine will be on your right (on the north side of Highway 12; do not confuse with St. Marie among the Huron’s historical site.
You may find the “Pilgrim Route Virtual Map”
Pilgrims coming from a distance may camp on the grounds of one of our families living in the area.
Contact the Rugman family at 705-730-6730.
St. Michael’s Priory: