The June 1947, 5-day Marian Congress held in Ottawa is virtually unknown to most Canadians. It marked the centenary of the Archdiocese of Ottawa and focused on the hope for lasting world peace. Thousands of Canadians attended the religious event, including many bishops from around the world and representatives from all levels of government. There was even a radio address from Pope Pius XII in both English and French.
At the same time, a procession began from the shrine of Cap-de-la-Madelaine. Towns and villages from five diocese joined in the 700 mile journey of Our Lady to Ottawa. The Sunday of consecration saw all the crowds, princely processions, pagentry and devotion of the previous days and fitting for the great event. One and half million pilgrims came to kneel at the foot of the altar in Ottawa and join in the crowning act of the Dominion of Canada's consecration to the Immaculate Heart of Mary.